Autumn Equinox... into the Deep.


As the sun rises and sets exactly due east and due west, I feel my senses tingle as the wind picks up and I prepare my mind, my soul, my taste buds, my body and my emotional being for the descent into the depth of winter in the Dandenong Ranges.

Colours of burnt orange and deep browns line the streets from the deciduous trees that were once quite foreign to these parts. Some mornings are cold and grey now, the water trickles down the glass windows and makes me thankful for the shelter that I have.
I have never had a fire place in my life. I stockpile wood and wait for the time when it is cold enough (thats two jumpers, right?!) to light the combustion stove. This has been one of my dreams and I simply cannot wait to start baking sourdough and making medicines and soups using the direct element of fire.

Here I will explore with you the beauty of the Autumn equinox, as the sun starts to move further Northward in a shallower arc across the sky. I will cover things which this season teaches us, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
Keep in mind that I am exploring the native side of things, as I live in Australia where a lot of that knowledge has been lost. I will try and apply it wherever I can, but I have a deep interest and focus on the wild foods that are all around us, awaiting our picking- moving towards a more local, economical and nourishing future.

Seasonal Foods
Lets explore the seasonal foods of Autumn. Nature is very intelligent, and sometimes we view ourselves separate from this natural world, perceiving our environment as something 'out there', the forest, the ocean, the mountain.... our environment is US. We are an ecology within ourselves, and we extend to all living things. Our internal is only a reflection of the external, the external is only and extension of the internal. We have been evolving for millions of years with these plants and animals that we rely on for food.
It makes sense that these foods contain specific nutrients at certain times of the year that actually benefit us during those times.
Autumn is a time of seasonal and also personal transformation. Lots of plants, trees and animals start to draw their energy reserves inward to prepare for the winter. During this time in this climate, we require foods with antioxidants and vitamin C, that will boost our immune systems so our bodies don't get a shock at the change in temperature. Herbs flourish that contain constituents to help with body strengthening, throat and lung conditioning (as Autumn winds have a drying effect on the lungs).

Melbourne, Australia
Vegetables in Season: Asian greens, beans, beetroot, cabbage, capsicum, carrot, celery, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, onions, peas, radish, silverbeet, squash, sweet corn, tomato, zucchini
Fruits in Season: Apple, apricot, berries, figs, grapes, lime, nectarine, passionfruit, pears, plum, pomegranate, yelow peach, quince
Herbs in Season: Basil, chilli, chives, coriander, dill, mint, oregano, parsley, sage, thyme
Nuts in Season: Chetnut, walnut, almond, peacan, hazelnut


UPCOMING POST: Autumn wildfoods and herbal medicine
                                    Autumn water exercises for observation and awareness

To stay posted follow my blog and get posts sent directly to your email.

Comments

  1. Taj, i love reading your posts! but just a little note- i can't really read the lists of seasonal foods as the background colour and the writing do not contrast enough...i really want to be able to read them all! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! didnt realize that happened... all fixed :) Thanks for feedback and reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts